Friday, June 19, 2009

I was right there and I MISSED IT.


I went to Mexico City D.F. in early  April to get my fix of city life and I saw some great art, museums, prostitutes, old friends, new friends, etc. But because of some religious holiday, I forget which one, mexico city basically shut down for an entire day, a Friday, my last day there. There were streets and streets aaaand streets flanked by nothing but garage doors. 

I missed the David Lachapelle showing. It was his first show in D.F. which consisted of some great, large prints. The works are in his new book "Heaven to Hell".  For what it's worth he is the most celebrated pop-surrealist photographer alive.  The construction of these elaborate sets is a big budget hallmark of his work. He started as an art photographer in the early 80's started hanging out with the pop stars of the day and worked his way up the ladder of fame. Really good work,  http://www.davidlachapelle.com/home.html

No comments:

Post a Comment